Thursday, September 15, 2011

Letter # 416 July 10, 1944

New Guinea
Monday Eve.
July 10, 1944
My Darling;
This is going to be one of my short notes again.  I'm working all day now and then this evening I went to the show.  It was "Duberry was a Lady".  Good music and darn nice looking girls and that's about all. I never did care much about Red Skelton.  Even over here I can't appreciate him.
We have gotten a small generator in action and have a place in the recreation section where we can use a radio.  Hanson, one of the boys in our tent, has one he brought with him, so we are now able to get some rebroadcasts from Australia and also some news.  Heard Jack Benny last night.  The news also sounds encouraging, especially in Europe.  I'm hoping and praying it will break soon and I can get back home to you again.  I love you, sweetheart. 
No letters for a couple days now and I'm all caught up on your letters, finally.  I have them all up to the 18th and one as recent as the 25th.  I hope you are getting mine in good shape. 
Honey, I now have another accomplishment.  I've turned artist???  At least I'm trying.  Last night I didn't have anything to do so I got out a sheet of V-Mail and tried to design a greeting card.  Remember we saw some that fellows had done.  Well, I got something, even if not very artistic.  I'm going to send it to you anyhow.  Remember it's only a first try.  I may improve.  If  I'm going to send you any cards they'll have to be "homemade." 
Well honey, this is all for tonight.  I'll sty at home tomorrow and try to write a better letter.  Night, my darling wife, I love you and miss you like hell.
your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: