Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The First Communication

Mar 30, 1943
Dear Babe:
I don't have time for more than a line because we just got through and lights go off in 5 minutes: Everything is OK. and they sure are pushing us through. We got uniforms and had our apptitude tests today along with some drill and other things thrown in. It looks like another busy day tomorrow. Hope you are getting along OK. I tried to call you tonight rather than write but couldn't get you. I will write as soon as I have time. Love x Norm

This postcard was the first of over 4000 pages of letters written by my Father to my Mother during World War II. It is a yellowing card with a preprinted onecent postage in green ink. The postal cancellation reads: BUY WAR SAVING BONDS and STAMPS. It was mailed from Columbus, Ohio to my Mother's home in Medina, Ohio. He was on his way to basic training at Camp Polk, Louisiana.

1 comment:

sue said...

a penny postage!! can you imagine?
i wonder if he took the pre-stamped cards along?